Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Lowes, You Magnificent Bastard.

About a week ago I was discussing my love of fresh mozzarella cheese and lamenting it's cost. (for some reason they charge you like it has gold in it.) I explained that I use it in my go to picnic fare.

Tomato and mozzarella salad. A little fresh basil, some olive oil and some Balsamic vinegar and it's freaking delicious! Seriously simple and fantastic.

I stole this image from the internet since I didn't make it just for the sake of this blog.
 A few days later she sent me a link to make my own fresh mozzarella.


I checked it out.

Then I checked it out again, and printed it.

Then I started shopping.

There were two items on the list that I didn't have in my pantry. Rennet and citric acid. The rennet was easy enough to get at my regular grocery store, the citric acid was another story.

I tried every local grocery store and then started scouring the internet. What else could it be used for? Would a different kind of store have it?

I found mention of it being used in beer making so I tried the local homemade beer supply store and they looked like I was insane. I was going to try the whole foods place but since it is so far away I called first.

Good thing. They didn't have it either.

Finally I gave up and ordered the dam thing off the internet. It will be here Thursday.



Then today I stopped into Lowes to get something completely unrelated to cheese making and there it was. Tucked in with the bug killers and the patio furniture.

CITRIC ACID, apparently its for canning and not for body disposal.


So what I'm saving is I will be making fresh mozzarella tomorrow and I really hope it goes well because now I have a lot of citric acid and I have no intention to start canning, zombie Apocalypse not with standing.

I'll let you know.

On a side note the South is a funny place.

Also at Lowes were numerous squirrel feeders:





What is that all about? Up North we try our best to get rid of them.
Unless it's just to draw them closer?

Ah ha, well played South. Well played. I won't underestimate you again.


2 comments:

  1. YUM to homemade mozzerella. According to Iron Chef America it's not hard to make your own ricotta, either (at least, it looks easy when they do it in <hour). Of course, being inherently lazy I've tried neither...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much. lowes coupons

    ReplyDelete

my "mouthy" daughter

 The other day at Jiu Jitsu some dads commented on my daughter's "back talk". "If I'd have talked to my mother like t...