Friday, March 8, 2013

This is NASCAR Country

In truth I have no idea what that means.

It's weird really. I live in "Race City, USA". The police cars have checkered flags running down their sides. There is a Pit Row training school only a few miles away from my house.
This is the water tower. In case you forget where you are.

When I drive around town I see lots of signs for "NASCAR memorabilia".

Friends talk about what "number" they are cheering for. I smile and nod when they talk about this weekend's race. Once Triple S and I even watched the last few laps so we could be included in the conversation the next day.

Prior to that the only conversation  Triple S and I had about NASCAR was about my want to participate in a driver experience package. Not because I like a certain driver but I have some serious speed issues. 

Driver- "Ma'am would you like me to sign something?"

Me- "Shhh, I'm gonna take this curve in 4th I need to concentrate."

We know mechanics and engineers and lots of other support staff. I occasionally hear stories about other people seeing this driver and that out and about around town.
Is the track really that sloped? I'll have to ask my inside source.

I could names names but it is only going to give you proof that I know nothing about this stuff.

Okay so back to the point of this post.

As you know if you read this blog I started working this year at a preschool.  It's been awesome so far. The kids are great and the teachers are great. Plus I'm shaping the future. (isn't that what they say about educators?)

One of the young minds I'm shaping this year is the child of a driver. A sweet and wonderful 4 year old. I won't tell you his/her name or the name of their father. I don't want to exploit them. That isn't the point of this.

The point is that everything I know about NASCAR I have learned from a 4 year old.

The other day a few friends were talking about the past weekend race and I interjected some comments and realized the only reason I had the information was thanks to this small child.



Did you know there was a crash this weekend and that all the drivers had to get out of their cars?

Did you know that you can get ice cream at pit row?

Did you know they have a costume contest at the track on Halloween?

This wonderful little child tells me all about the ins and out of racing. And maybe a few behind the scenes tidbits too.



So if we are talking about racing and I mention something and it sounds a little bit off just try and remember my source.

No comments:

Post a Comment

my "mouthy" daughter

 The other day at Jiu Jitsu some dads commented on my daughter's "back talk". "If I'd have talked to my mother like t...