Thursday, May 2, 2013

Why I Love Doctor Who

An ode to  my nerdiness.

We all have TV shows we like. Shows we consider 'must see'.  Maybe we even get a little upset about them changing a major character, about a story line, but at the end of the day we move on.

Sometimes though we fall in love with something. We get sucked in. We go down the rabbit hole and hope we never have to come out.

There was a TV show called Firefly. It lasted one season. 13 episodes. That's not even a real season.

Gone in a blink but the fans weren't happy.

They wrote letters and staged protests.
You can get this at ThinkGeek.com


3 years later they got a movie made.

One barely half season and the fans somehow turned that into a movie.

Hell, this crazy show still gets a top billed panel at Comic Con TEN YEARS LATER! (I was going to explain to you what Comic Con is but I'm guessing if you don't know you stopped reading after the title.)
I love Adam Baldwin on this show.



It's still entertainment news when the characters from this show meet up again in their new shows. Not that I pay attention to that sort of thing. I just picked this show at random. I had to look these facts up on Wikipedia. My text alert is most certainly not a quote from the movie.

If it was it would totally be "I'm a leaf on the wind." But it's not cause that would be crazy.

Wasn't I talking about Doctor Who? I just checked the subject and it appears that was what I was going to talk about. Got a bit sidetracked.

I'm so shocked!

I never watched the original series. I was aware of what it was. Knew that giant multicolored scarf meant someone was a huge sci fi nerd. I might have been able to hum the theme song but I had never actually seen it.

Like a lot of things though it was brought back. The BBC decided that while we were stealing all their shows they would bring back an old one.

I wasn't going to watch. I certainly wasn't part of the group that was freaking out about a re-imagining of a beloved character.

But it was a Sunday and there was a marathon. The first episode was a weird one with gas masks and creepy children and The Doctor wasn't wearing some old scarf he was wearing a leather jacket.

I was LOST. It was seriously weird but there was nothing else on. Or I was checking facebook or the remote was hidden in the couch. I'm not sure. What I do know is that by the third episode I was hooked. I watched the rest of the first season and found the episodes I'd missed online.

I loved #9 and Rose. There was a promise of romance and adventure and with time travel on the table there really was no limit.



It's been 7 seasons and 2 more Doctors and I couldn't love this show more.
9 10 and 11

It's insane. Funny, smart and the twists and turns lead you to places you never saw coming. Plus it folds back in on itself over and over again and leaves you amazed you didn't see that coming.

SPOILERS (You can stop judging me if you read this in a British accent)

This is the only show on the planet that could have a reverse love affair. I don't mean May/December I mean one person's first kiss is the others last. Plus River Song is amazing.

She's BA.



Just when I think I can't love it anymore something happens to prove me wrong.

If you're not watching may I suggest starting? Everything is on Netflix. Seriously. Give it three episodes and if you don't agree well...... I was going to say something about everyone being entitled to their own opinion but forget that. YOU'RE WRONG.




No comments:

Post a Comment

my "mouthy" daughter

 The other day at Jiu Jitsu some dads commented on my daughter's "back talk". "If I'd have talked to my mother like t...